Web Map Services (WMS)
Web Map Services allow you to display air photos and other maps on your computer without having to download all the data. The air photos and data are stored and maintained by the organization providing the service. The service only has to send a picture made from the small part of the dataset that you are looking at, as you need it. This efficiency means that the WMS display is generally very fast.
Using a WMS means:
- You get just what you need to see without having to download and store datasets that are often very, very large.
- You see the most up-to-date version of the data
How to Use a WMS
To see the air photos and maps, use a WMS with free software such as Google Earth and ArcGIS Explorer, and with many different GIS software packages.
- More about using WMS...
- DNR Export to Image tool for ArcGIS 10: Use WMS in the field without an internet connection.
MnGeo's WMS Services
- Minnesota Geospatial Image Service
Displays a collection of air photos, hillshade, and topographic maps as seamless layers
- Composite Image Service
Automatically displays an air photo or satellite image depending on the viewing scale and extent
- General Land Office (GLO) original Public Land Survey plats
Displays the original surveyor plats of Minnesota as a seamless layer