How to Use a WMS
There are a number of ways to connect to a Web Map Service so you can display
air photos and other maps on your computer without having to download all
Free Viewing Options
- Google Earth
- ArcGIS Online
- Using MnGeo's Image WMS in ArcGIS Online without creating an account
A number of geographic information systems software packages can connect directly with the
service. Once connected, you can view and use the images just as you would if they were on your computer.
Check your software manual or help files for specific instructions on how to add a mapping service.
Here are software clients known to be able to connect with WMS services (please let us know if you find others: email@example.com):
AutoCAD Civil 3D and
AutoCAD Map 3D 2009 and above
- Step-by-step instructions (4 p., 2 MB, PDF)
Bentley Microstation V8i
- Step-by-step instructions (10 p., 1.2 MB, PDF)
- AccuGlobe Desktop 2007
- ERDAS Imagine 9.2 and above
- Global Mapper
- MaPublisher for Adobe Illustrator, 8.4 and above
- Minnesota MapServer 4.x and above
Use without an Internet Connection
- DNR Export to Image tool for ArcGIS 10: Use WMS in the field without an internet connection.
Create Your Own Web Application
web developers can add WMS services to their website applications. For example, see
specifications for MnGeo's Geospatial Image Service.
Return to MnGeo WMS homepage